Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Stray Kitty Gets a Feeding Tube

I took Declann to the vet this morning. He seems pretty dehydrated, has diareahha and is just much skinnier than he was originally. He won't make it without 'agressive nutritional support' and I suspect that he should have been tubed a week ago. I am hoping he responds well and fairly quickly. Dr. Jon says we should know in two weeks. It sounds like his tube will need to stay in for 4 to 6 weeks in order to be successful.

I am told that the feeding tube is not particularly traumatic for the cat. With the tube he will also be able to get the hydration he needs. I'm going to set him up with a very specific diet plan and feeding schedule.

I'm also going to give him some pumpkin. I hear that most cats love the taste, and it's loaded with vitamins and fiber.

Mom seems to be considering taking him if he recovers. She's even given him a new name 'Raleigh'. I hope he makes it, I suspect I will know how he's doing by the end of the weekend.

0 comments: