Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The CatGenie Drains Me

For a year and a half we've loved the CatGenie and the CatGenie has loved us too.



Lately that has changed and I've placed my first call to technical support. I got a recording that told me to leave a message with my contact number, which I did. We'll see how
long it takes to get a return call.


Basically it started having problems with draining. Or so it seemed. I've cleaned it, checked for clogs and still, water stands in the bottom of the pan. It's frustrating. I learned a trick from You Tube about using a drill (with no drill bit) to drain the pan. (see pictures)

The part that's perplexing me is that it seems to drain just fine - but water runs when the drying cycle starts. Call me crazy but that seems counter productive. I'm suspicious that this is the problem.

I wish there was a way to 'reboot' the CatGenie. I feel like it's just confused. And Dexter and Trilly -and maybe one of the new fosters prefer it as their potty place. Who can blame them? It's clean! (not that the Tidy Cat Breeze pans aren't clean - I scoop twice a day - but they don't get washed like the CatGenie does!!

So, every night I've been starting a cycle - and then I go in there about the time drying starts - wait for the water to stop running - drain the unit and then plug it back in and let it dry. It's a pain. It also gets pretty stinky between cycles since there's only really one now.

Dexter has longer hair, so I know he gets some clogs in there, but I've flushed out the hose and it appears to be clear.

This morning I ran it too, but I basically need to be there after 15 minutes to keep an eye on things which kind of defeats the purpose of the 'self washing litter pan'.

I've left a message with tech support for them to call me back. I had heard that support was good, but I guess I'll find out soon enough and update you. I feel like the purchase price was worth it, but if it only lasts two years - maybe not. I consider my CatGenie to be an appliance and therefore to have an appliance life-span.

The good news is that I've learned all about the maintenance mode while going through all this. I'll post those codes soon to help other owners that want to do a little maintenance or just drain or dry their genie after a mishap.

I've recently been told these codes are in the manual for people who own the CatGenie 120 - which I do not - but the codes are the same. So if you own an older model like I do - that's the next post. Those codes are a great help!

1 comments:

Rene S., Chicago said...

Thanks for the post. I was having the same problem with a "confused" CG 60 (the older model) that wanted to dry when there was still solids in the bowl (um, ick). I called customer service, and you are going to scream when you hear how easy it is to reboot the CG:
Unplug unit; Plug unit back in, let it do its startup beeps, and resume cycle (even though it's not at the beginning, it's only for a moment); Press and hold for 5 seconds the Start/Pause button; Unit will reset! Press Start/Pause button to start a new cycle. Voila! Important: If the litter is wet when you're trying to reset, you MUST manually shake litter off of scooper during first 5 minutes of cycle to prevent it from all getting flushed into and clogging the hopper.